Saturday, August 08, 2009

Some gardening shots



So I was thinking yesterday, maybe the garden isn't a total loss. I was looking at it from this point and I thought it might make a nice shot, but now I'm thinking the lighting was significantly better yesterday! Oh well, this is the shot I can get today; I need to get this recorded so I can remember better what worked and what did not. Asparagus, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, zucchini, melons are on the left. The broccoli, beets, brussel sprouts, cauliflower are toward the right.

This other photo is the cucumber arch. The cukes just didn't grow very well this year. I'm not sure if it was the soil or what, so the plan is to do a soil test and make any needed adjustments. Like a big part of the country, our summer has been cooler than normal and we have had more precipitation than typical. I also probably need to do more that just add a lot of compost to the soil. I should feed each plant the fertilizer it prefers.

This is our second year for this garden. I think there have been some improvements, but we still have a long way to go. There's been an ongoing war with the varmints (rabbits, voles, rock chuck(s), and pocket gophers.) The Blakemore strawberries I planted did not survive; some stuff was planted to closely together. I'm hoping I've learned enough to have more success next year.

In a week or so we'll be putting in the cool weather stuff -- peas, etc. I'm hoping that I can find some local garlic too -- that's been hard of late and I can't mail order it because it can't be shipped in from out of state.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated at some point.